The University Library of Cagliari was founded in 1764, during the reign of Carlo Emanuele III of Sardinia, on the impulse of the Superintendent of the Affairs of Sardinia, Count Gianbattista Lorenzo Bogino, with the promulgation of a restoration deed of the University of Cagliari.
The intent of the provision was aimed at strengthening and qualifying the entire University which had lost prestige and became heavily impoverished both from an educational and cultural point of view. The Sovereign Savoy endowed the University with a new and updated organization and established, for the first time, a library to which a special hall was to be destined, in the new headquarters which, designed by the architect Belgrano di Famolasco, was built on the Bastione del Balice and inaugurated in 1770.
The room destined to the Library, commonly called Sala Grande, was equipped with shelving positioned along the entire perimeter of the walls and at full height, shelving in which they had to find a place ... the best books in every faculty, so that students, that others are in the case of the opportunity to run the course, books that had to form the actual library thanks to the purchases arranged by the magistrate over the studios, which was also responsible for ensuring their safekeeping and conservation.

aaSala Settecentesca